Sunday, June 24, 2007

Chapter 4: Genesis

Empty Musings: Genesis, first entry




Dear Diary

Well, Dad's done it again. This is the fourth time he's moved us since... well, since Mom died. How long has it been? Two years or three? Or has it been four already? Anyway, Dad bought a house this time, so maybe we'll be actually staying here for a while.






He's got a pretty important position at the top secret military base near here. This place Dad's moved us to barely qualifies as a town. I mean, it's got schools and a hospital and a couple shops, but it's in the middle of nowhere and some really strange people live here. I guess it was some sort of artist's colony once. There's a nice town right near the base, but Dad didn't want to live there. "Too many aliens," he grumbled, and you know how he is about aliens.






He still blames them for Mom's death. I mean, I really doubt that any of the ones in the town by the base had anything to do with the alien technology that Mom was studying just before the accident. Dad's still really hung up over her. Diary, did you know he's still wearing his wedding ring?






And he brought her with us when we moved. He's done it every time. I still don't know whether I should be creeped out about it or not.






I mean, it's nice in a way to know that she's close by and not forgotten and lonely in some cemetery where no one is around to visit her. Sometimes I even feel she's sorta still here, watching over us.






I'm sure Dad has his reasons for keeping Mom's urn with us. Maybe having her near still inspires him or something. Or maybe he's just having problems accepting that Mom's gone. Maybe he thinks he can bring her back or something. Right after she died, I remember him telling me about when he was little like me and he and Uncle Brandon were living in Pleasantville with Grandma and Grandpa. There was an old voodoo priestess there who could bring people back the dead. I hope Dad's not trying to find some voodoo lady to bring Mom back or anything.






I mean, while I'd love to have Mom back I'm just not sure bringing back the dead is right. I realize Dad's still probably having a hard time coping. It's not like it's been any easier for me. Well, maybe it has been. I was real young when she died, and I don't remember her very well anymore. And I've still got Dad. But Dad... Mom was like his world. I guess I can understand him not being ready to move on quite yet. Not sure I understand the want to bring her back though.






Poor Canus just wishes Dad would quit being so moody all the time. He's happy he finally got a big yard so we can play with him, but... Dad never does.






Our mail carrier sure wishes we'd play with him more and wear off all the extra energy... that or keep Canus tied up. *giggle*






So Diary, things have settled back into their usual routine. I'm doing lots of studying. My birthday is coming up soon and I've got to start thinking about college. I can't start too early working on those scholarships. That's another reason why I hope we stay here a while. I don't want to be changing school every year I'm in high school.






And I'm eating lots of muffins once again. Not like Dad doesn't fix dinner or anything, but you can only eat spaghetti so many nights before you've gotta have some variety. I've tried to get him to watch that "Grill of the Golden West" show a couple times to get some new recipes, but he freaks out every time he sees the chef. She's green ya know.






He hired a nanny again too. Brenda seems pretty cool and actually likes doing stuff with me unlike Marsha, my nanny at the last place we lived. I think I scared her. She kept muttering about me being 'too old for my age' and 'talking like an adult' and weird stuff like that. I didn't like Marsha anyway; she spent more time on the phone than she did paying attention to me. Brenda takes really good care of me and the house.






Though, like Dad, her cooking skills do seem to leave a little to be desired. But she makes awesome cookies, even if they are a little burned.






Dad must be really close to a promotion. He's been studying like crazy the past couple nights. I think he would've studied right though dinner if I'd let him.






So it kind of surprised me when he put down the manual he was studying and asked me if I wanted a bedtime story. He hasn't read to me in ages. He even remembered my favorite one too. "Little Pinto, Pony of the Wild West."






Maybe this will be a good move for us. Maybe this place will help Dad and I figure out how to be a family again.






I'd like to write more Diary, but I've got to run. Today's my first day at Euterpe Elementary and I don't want to miss the bus.

Later Diary!

Genesis Lillard


Turn the Page
Go Back a Page

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Her dad is a bit creepy. I hope he starts paying her more attention.

July 2, 2007 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger MysticSpirit said...

This family is so pathetically sad. The father in his own world. The daughter growing up before she had to. :O(

July 2, 2007 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the Captain. Its sad. I wonder how her dad is going to respond to Spencer and his family.

July 19, 2007 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Arkali said...

Oh, so sad. Captain's right! But - that is one gorgeous kid :-)

July 20, 2007 at 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red heads rock...what more is there to say??? I bet she and the other kid there (why am I bad with names) hook up...or have some adventures or something...maybe kill a couple drakes.

August 31, 2007 at 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home